A while ago i wrote this page about the iPhone using 1.0 firmware and then for 2.0 firmware. If you are searching for that information please follow this link for iphone 2.0 or a href=”http://tom.scholten.nu/weblog/iphone/iphone2″>follow this link for iphone 1.0. Otherwise continue reading about the first experiences using the iPhone 3.0 firmware (on a 2nd gen, iPhone 3G). As of now it’s updated up to June 2009.
Tips & Tricks (iPhone) (from www.iphoneclub.nl)
- Adjust voicemail using dialing *5005*86*xxxx# and press ‘dial’. For vodafone (the Netherlands) you can use 1233 or +31654501233
- When typing you can ‘drag’ a . (dot) or any other item! If you want to type “Hello world. 1 phone isn’t 3n0ugh” you probably start using a lot of ‘.?123’ and get agrivated by the way you have to switch back to alpha-keyboard. Don’t! The smartest way is to press and hold the .?123 button and then ‘drag’ to the symbol required (just like dragging a window in your favorite OS). When you release at the . for instance it will appear in the text while the keyboard switches back to alpha!
- Irritated by the .com button in safari while you are in .nl, .co.uk or .what? You can easily switch by the method indicated above, just press and hold the .com button and other extensions will appear. The extensions appearing depend on the keyboards/languages you set in preferences. Another nice feature in 2.0 is that you can enable multiple keyboards (e.g. Netherlands and US/UK) and this way you will be able to switch between them (you get a world icon/language button in the corner).
- Don’t like the layout on your iphone springboard, if you press and hold any app/icon you can drag them (they start to wiggle). Press the home button to return to normal functionality.
- The microphone in your headphones are also a switch (yes, RTFM). Which controls conversations and music (either press/release or press hold 2 seconds). The apple pdf manual comes in handy sometimes.
- Seeing a phone with dots/blocks beneith it appearing next to your battery indicator, you switched TTY on (something for deaf people?) If you see a white box with +.. in it, that seems to be the NES emulator (never played with it).
- Want your birthdays visible, add birthdays to your default template in your address book ‘prefs’-‘template’-‘add field’-‘birthday’ (or on the iPhone using ‘change contact’-‘add field’-‘birthday’). Now to popup those birthdays in iCal check ‘prefs’-‘general’-‘show birthday calendar’. Now you can sync those using iTunes and have them appear in your calendar!
- You can set personal ringtunes using the change contact button. They will however appear as ‘my documents….mp3/m4r’ in your address book (but what gives).
- Want to make a screenshot out of something, just press the home+silence (the one on top) button simultaneously and the image will be saved in your gallery.
Tethering or using your iPhone as a modem
See also this link for some dutch information on how to enable this.
Apps i like/use (no jailbreak since 2.2.0)
- 1Passwd / Password and wallet information program, syncs nicely to your desktop system (secure!) (iphone app free, desktop $$)
- OmniFocus / Todo/gettings things done manager, also syncs to your desktop system (iphone app $$, desktop $$)
- Tweetdeck / Twitter front, the best, (iphone app free, desktop app free) syncing status/prefs between desktop and iphone
- Remote / Control itunes wirelessly (free)
- Keynote Remote / Control your keynote presentations, also shows notes! (iphone app $$, desktop (keynote/iwork) $$)
- Buienradar / Shows europe clouds/rain (free)
- AccuWeather / More information than standard app (free)
- Libary / Take your delicious library form your desktop with you (iphone app free, desktop $$)