A while ago i wrote this page about the iPhone using 1.0 firmware. If you are searching for that information please follow this link. Otherwise continue reading about the first experiences using the iPhone 2.0 firmware (on a 1st gen, iPhone 2G). As of now it’s updated up to October 2008.
Update 28th of Juli. Yes! 1password app is available from the AppStore and ForwardingMsg-fix is also available (from Cydia). Update 6th of October, updated to 3G possibilities on the iPhone.
When approved by your provider you can use the iPhone for your laptop. Although written before i’ve included a way to send e-mail or do other things. Follow this linkfor more info.
Tips & Tricks (iPhone) (from www.iphoneclub.nl)
- Adjust voicemail using dialing *5005*86*xxxx# and press ‘dial’. For vodafone (the Netherlands) you can use 1233 or +31654501233
- When typing you can ‘drag’ a . (dot) or any other item! If you want to type “Hello world. 1 phone isn’t 3n0ugh” you probably start using a lot of ‘.?123’ and get agrivated by the way you have to switch back to alpha-keyboard. Don’t! The smartest way is to press and hold the .?123 button and then ‘drag’ to the symbol required (just like dragging a window in your favorite OS). When you release at the . for instance it will appear in the text while the keyboard switches back to alpha!
- Irritated by the .com button in safari while you are in .nl, .co.uk or .what? You can easily switch by the method indicated above, just press and hold the .com button and other extensions will appear. The extensions appearing depend on the keyboards/languages you set in preferences. Another nice feature in 2.0 is that you can enable multiple keyboards (e.g. Netherlands and US/UK) and this way you will be able to switch between them (you get a world icon/language button in the corner).
- Upload your own ringtones, convert any format to AAC using the right mouse button feature in iTunes. Next find the file and upload it using SCP (Windows:google winscp, Apple:google cyberduck or use command line tools) to root@iphone:/Library/Ringtones/ as an .m4r file (just rename the .m4a file iTunes created).
- Don’t like the layout on your iphone springboard, if you press and hold any app/icon you can drag them (they start to wiggle). Press the home button to return to normal functionality.
- The microphone in your headphones are also a switch (yes, RTFM). Which controls conversations and music (either press/release or press hold 2 seconds). The apple pdf manual comes in handy sometimes.
- Seeing a phone with dots/blocks beneith it appearing next to your battery indicator, you switched TTY on (something for deaf people?) If you see a white box with +.. in it, that seems to be the NES emulator (never played with it).
- Want your birthdays visible, add birthdays to your default template in your address book ‘prefs’-‘template’-‘add field’-‘birthday’ (or on the iPhone using ‘change contact’-‘add field’-‘birthday’). Now to popup those birthdays in iCal check ‘prefs’-‘general’-‘show birthday calendar’. Now you can sync those using iTunes and have them appear in your calendar!
- You can set personal ringtunes using the change contact button. They will however appear as ‘my documents….mp3/m4r’ in your address book (but what gives).
- Want to make a screenshot out of something, just press the home+silence (the one on top) button simultaneously and the image will be saved in your gallery.
- Using Cydia you can install at least a few. The most important one (for me) being BossPrefs. So i can quickly adjust SSH/EDGE(GPRS) and Wireless. Installer is still pretty useless as far as i’m concerned.
- The other packages installed mostly come from the AppStore!
Packages that looked ok for installation (removed games as of May, just browse for them)
- Category / Package / Description
- AppStore / 1password / Keep passwords/notes/etc. safe. Next to Omnifocus another tool that integrates very nice with the mac version of the software.
- AppStore / OmniFocus / Getting things done/todo list (payware). Integrates very nicely with OmniGroups OmniFocus for the mac.
- AppStore / YouNote / Make some notes, voice memo’s or other nice things
- AppStore / Remote / The best! Use your iphone/ipod touch as a remote control for @tv and iTunes. It works perfectly (wireless btw!) and had some great fun with it!
- AppStore / iPint / Fool people with your device filling up (and empty again) with beer
- AppStore / PangeaVR / Amazing 3d photography browsing
- AppStore / Buienradar / If you are Dutch you know what it does
- AppStore / MyLite / Flashlight
- AppStore / FaceBook / Front-end to the popular website
- AppStore / LinkedIn / Your network on your iPhone
- AppStore / Teletekst / Again, if your Dutch …
- AppStore / RulerPhone / Use your creditcard + your iphone to measure anything (try the light version first, it measures upto 45cm)
- AppStore / DualLevel / Leveller
- AppStore / TrailGuru / Record GPS data and when you are home (or using 3G) you can upload them
- AppStore / Fring / Skype, Fring, MSN and more on the iPhone
- AppStore / 21 Pro / Blackjack light version
- Cydia / BossPrefs / The number 1 app for me, handy to switch on/off edge(gprs) wireless and the battery consuming ssh
- Cydia / FwdMessageFix / Use the welcome screen to ‘More sources’ add phone-notes.de You will get a ‘Tweaks 2.0’ section that contains the program. Just reboot the phone to apply the change!
- Cydia / AptBackup / Makes sure you can easily restore your Cydia apps when reinstalling your iPhone.
- Cydia / CB NL Vodafone / Vodafone logo’s
- Cydia / Summerboard / Themes and other things
- Cydia / StumberPlus / Wireles LAN Scanner
No theming yet, but a screenshot of the home screen