this post is outdated unless you still use the 1.0 (1st generation, iPhone 2g) firmware on your device. For those of you using 2.0 or having bought the iPhone 3g check this page
Carefull warning, before changing your password triplecheck if you have the password fix installed. If unsure, login to your device and type “md5 /usr/bin/passwd”. If the number returned starts with 942 DONT use it. If it starts with e03 you might be safe (not taking any responsibility here!). If your device keeps showing the home screen/enter pincode (and does that every 5 seconds) you will have to restore your iPhone/iPod (using itunes).
Tips & Tricks (iPhone) (from www.iphoneclub.nl)
- Adjust voicemail using dialing *5005*86*xxxx# and press ‘dial’. For vodafone (the Netherlands) you can use 1233 or +31654501233
- When typing you can ‘drag’ a . (dot) or any other item! If you want to type “Hello world. 1 phone isn’t 3n0ugh” you probably start using a lot of ‘.?123’ and get agrivated by the way you have to switch back to alpha-keyboard. Don’t! The smartest way is to press and hold the .?123 button and then ‘drag’ to the symbol required (just like dragging a window in your favorite OS). When you release at the . for instance it will appear in the text while the keyboard switches back to alpha!
- Irritated by the .com button in safari while you are in .nl, .co.uk or .what? You can easily switch by the method indicated above, just press and hold the .com button and other extensions will appear. The extensions appearing depend on the keyboards/languages you set in preferences
- Upload your own ringtones, convert any format to AAC using the right mouse button feature in iTunes. Next find the file and upload it using SCP (Windows:google winscp, Apple:google cyberduck or use command line tools) to root@iphone:/Library/Ringtones/ as an .m4r file (just rename the .m4a file iTunes created).
- Don’t like the layout on your iphone springboard, if you press and hold any app/icon you can drag them (they start to wiggle). Press the home button to return to normal functionality.
- The microphone in your headphones are also a switch (yes, RTFM). Which controls conversations and music (either press/release or press hold 2 seconds). The apple pdf manual comes in handy sometimes.
- Seeing a phone with dots/blocks beneith it appearing next to your battery indicator, you switched TTY on (something for deaf people?) If you see a white box with +.. in it, that seems to be the NES emulator (never played with it).
- Want your birthdays visible, add birthdays to your default template in your address book ‘prefs’-‘template’-‘add field’-‘birthday’ (or on the iPhone using ‘change contact’-‘add field’-‘birthday’). Now to popup those birthdays in iCal check ‘prefs’-‘general’-‘show birthday calendar’. Now you can sync those using iTunes and have them appear in your calendar!
- You can set personal ringtunes using the change contact button. They will however appear as ‘my documents….mp3/m4r’ in your address book (but what gives).
- When you have a modified phone with installer you can use/install the following sources (summary of things found May 2008). Updated when Installer 3.1 came out, no sources mentioned, you can useiappcat.com or AppleIPhoneSchool to find out the sources.
Packages that looked ok for installation (removed games as of May, just browse for them)
- Category / Package / Description
- eBooks / * / just choose your favorite books
- fring / Fring / MSN+Skype+SIP tool, be carefull though. Running fring and receiving an sms seems deadly to your sms-database (beta1 release at least)
- * / iBirthday / Reminds you of birthdays (uses addressbook input)
- * / iFON / Locate FON spots
- iClarified / SyncFix / see package name 🙂
- iClarified / Screenshot Enabler / Hold homebutton and switch mute switch to take screenshot in your camera folder!
- iFoneguide Apps / Forward message fix / Doesnt display the annoying popup when you dial
- iFoneguide Apps / NL nummerherkennig / indeed, what it says
- iFoneguide Apps / NL taalcorrectie (t9) / again 🙂
- iFoneGuide Apps / NL taalpakket / uhuh
- iFoonBlog / 2.0 icons / Just for that extra glare!
- iFoonBlog / Blue battery / No green battery on charging please
- iFoonBlog / Contacts icon / Direct access to your contacts from the springboard (instead of via phone)
- iFoonBlog / Password fix / Really required, do *not* change your password with the default password fix (breaks springboard)
- Productivity / Books / To read those eBooks we started the list with
- System / BSD Subsystem / Required for other apps, do not use the ‘password’ utility supplied with this one
- System / Installer / The program itself (3.1 available, with search option!)
- System / OpenSSH / To ssh to your iPhone
- System / Summerboard / Springboard enhancement (see remark on bottom of page)
- System / Terminal / A vt100 terminal tool
- Themes (Summerboard) / Unl0CkER / my personal favorite (see remark on bottom of page)
- Utilities / BossPrefs / The number 1 app for me, handy to switch on/off edge(gprs) wireless and the battery consuming ssh
- Utilities / MakeItMine / Vodafone has irritating scrolls, now you can adjust the operator text with anything *you* like!
- Utilities / ThemeBuilder / To create own themes (see below)
- Utilities / weTool / SMS tool
First attempt to make a theme
Important; If you want to use Summerboards theme’s with non-english language you will have to do some additional work because the icons are called by there local name. Easy to do with WinSCP or Cyberduck. See here for a list of (dutch) translations (do NOT follow their fix for photo’s). Caution; Weather and Photos are not that easy to fix. For Weather you can use the ‘SB Weather fix’ using the installer. For photos follow the instructions on this site.